Domestic travel makes up the largest portion of business travel in South Africa. That’s why in our spotlight today are the top three domestic business travel destinations and insights straight from our Flight Centre Business Travel experts to you.
Gone are the days where people only went to Cape Town to relax, and Johannesburg to work. Cape Town is now the creative hub filled with ad agencies and the go-to place for anything film and production-related. Business Travellers are no stranger to the early morning flight in, attending world-class conferences (like the World Economic Forum and Mining Indaba) and catching the red-eye back to JHB.
Here are Four Tips to Save you Time and Frustration When Travelling to Cape Town for Business
- Plan ahead. Try avoid booking your travel over the time of the popular expo’s like the Indaba’s etc
- Always check the weather in the city before leaving as this will affect traffic.
- Ask for a domestic TIC (travel insurance) policy, as little as it is (around R 100.00) it could save you thousands of rands.
- Book flights as far in advance as CPT tends to get very expensive closer to the time, you could sometimes find that SAA & British Airways can be more economical than the low-cost carriers.
Moving on to Durban... It's the Third Largest City in South Africa and a Busy Route for Business Travellers
- Avoid travelling to Durban over the Durban July. Flights will be costly and car rentals almost unattainable.
- There are no petrol stations at Durban International, so fill up before you get there to avoid those additional car rental admin costs.
- Weekends (from Thursdays) are the busiest and most expensive time to travel to Durban as families tend to go then, plan your meetings for midweek.
Or Perhaps You Travel to Johannesburg on Your Business Trips... Here are Some Travel Hacks for our Busy Work Hub
- Lanseria is a much quieter (and often quicker) for those in and out meetings. Plus you can get a free coffee in the Lanseria lounge on your return.
- A great time-saver is to take the Gautrain from the airport (OR Tambo) to Sandton and stay in the area. It can get you there in 15 minutes.
- If you’re doing business in the Fourways area, try factor in more time to get to your meeting. The area is undergoing major roadworks and you could be in traffic for a while.
And remember, no matter where you are flying from or to, park and fly services offered makes arriving and departing at the airport simpler and quicker - no worries about parking your own car, and often they offer a free car wash too.
Get in touch with your FCBT Travel Experts today for all your domestic and international travel needs!